You are here

Unclaimed Funds

What are Unclaimed Funds?

In Chapter 7, 13, or 12 cases, the trustee pays any unclaimed funds into the court, along with the names and addresses of those entitled to receive the funds. This information has been made available by clicking the button below.

How to Claim Unclaimed Funds

Use the Petition to Claim Unclaimed Funds form

Upon providing full proof of the right to funds held by the Court, a claimant may obtain an order directing disbursement of unclaimed funds. 28 U.S.C. § 2042.

All claims should have proper documentation as required for executing the affidavit for reimbursement. These should include at the least the following documents:

  1. A properly completed Petition to Claim Unclaimed Funds (see link above) or a motion to release funds.
  2. Official notice must also be provided to the United States Attorney's Office of the intention to claim funds (for example, a copy of the Petition to Claim Unclaimed Funds form required in step one).
  3. Evidence of proper authority, in the form of an acceptably completed original power of attorney by the signer(s) or claimant(s) requesting release of the funds. (only if applicable)
  4. Photocopy of photo identification such as driver.s license or passport of claimant(s).
  5. Letter of administration or probated will. (only if applicable)
  6. Corporate documents (if applicable) showing proof of ownership of funds through amendment, merger, or dissolution and proper authority to act in behalf of the corporation. (only if applicable)
  7. A properly completed AO 213

Mail completed forms to:

United States Bankruptcy Court
Western District of Wisconsin
120 N Henry St. Suite 340
Madison, WI 53703