Electronic Self-Representation (eSR) Bankruptcy Petition Preparation System
THIS ONLINE BANKRUPTCY PETITION PREPARATION TOOL IS FOR DEBTORS ONLY
Bankruptcy has serious long-term financial and legal consequences and hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended. The Bankruptcy Court is not permitted to provide legal advice. Individuals filing for bankruptcy without an attorney are still responsible for knowing and following all of the legal requirements.
If you wish to retain an attorney, call the Wisconsin Bar Association Lawyer Referrals: (800) 362-9082 or (608) 257-4666 (Madison).
What is eSR?
- eSR is an online tool to help individuals complete a Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition when they have decided to file bankruptcy without an attorney.
Who can use eSR?
- Individuals who wish to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy petition and who live in the Western District of Wisconsin can use eSR. To determine if your county of residence is within the Western District of Wisconsin, use the Jurisdictional Map.
- Important Note: eSR is not available to attorneys or bankruptcy petition preparers. eSR is not designed for business or corporate bankruptcy filings. eSR is only available for individual filings.
Why use eSR?
- There is no cost to use eSR. Pay only the Chapter 7 bankruptcy filing fee.
- eSR has a guided, step-by-step process that allows you up to 45 days to complete.
- Your personal information is only accessible to you using a unique login and password assigned to you.
- eSR is accessible 24 hours a day from any Internet-enabled computer.
- There is no software to download or purchase.
eSR Computer Requirements
- Internet connection
- Adobe Reader (version 8 or higher)
- Pop-up blocker must be disabled
- Browser requirements - It is recommended that you used the latest version of Firefox, Chrome, or Safari
- For procedural assistance with eSR, please contact the Clerk's Office:
Madison (608) 264-5178 or Eau Claire (715) 839-2980.
- Directions for Creating a Petition Package found under How to use eSR.
Follow this link to begin using eSR