Before Using eSR
1. Review Before You File for important bankruptcy information.
2. Obtain credit counseling from a court-approved credit counseling agency. (Required by law)
3. Collect all your financial documents before you begin
Prepare a Petition Package Using eSR
1. Go to the eSR system home page to create a user profile, unique login, and password
From the first day you begin working in eSR, you have up to 45 days to complete the petition. If you do not submit your petition to the bankruptcy court for filing within 45 days, whatever you have done will be deleted from the system. If you do not think you will finish within 45 days, please print out a copy of your work for future reference.
2. Answer questions about your property, income and debts.
3. Submit the bankruptcy filing.
NOTE: eSR only allows a one-time submission. Any schedules or statements not completed at the time the eSR package is submitted cannot be completed later using eSR. All subsequent pleadings and amendments to pleadings must be filed in paper via mail or dropped off at the Courthouse in Madison or Eau Claire.
NOTE: After submitting your petition, you will receive an email confirming the electronic receipt of the bankruptcy petition submitted to the Court. Please note that the confirmation email does not constitute filing. Documents must still be provided to the Court before filing commences.
Immediately After Petition Package is Submitted
After the Petition is Submitted, hand deliver or mail the following documents to the Court within 14 days:
1. Original Copy of a Certificate of Credit Counseling (or printed copy of electronic version).
2. One of the Following:
- pay Filing Fee (Cashier's Check or Money Order only),
- a completed Application to Pay in Installments, or
- a completed Application for Waiver of Filing Fee.
- If Official Form 101A - Initial Statement About an Eviction Judgment Against You is part of this bankruptcy petition package, you are required to serve a copy of this form on your landlord when you complete the instructions for filing for bankruptcy.
- Statement About Payment of an Eviction Judgement Against You (Form 101B)
Submit the Employee Income Records/Pay Advices Cover Sheet and copies of payment advices (e.g. paystubs) or other evidence of payment received by the debtor from an employer within 60 days prior to filing the petition.
Employee Income Records are not required to open a Chapter 7 case; however, they must be provided to the Court with a new case filing. You may include this documentation when you provide your original documents to the court in person or via mail to avoid the need to provide them separately. (Due 14 days after the case is opened.)
NOTE: A bankruptcy petition is NOT considered “filed” (and does not receive a case number) until all of the above listed documents are received and processed by the court.
NOTE: An automatic stay (injunction) is NOT in effect until a bankruptcy case number is issued by the bankruptcy court.
Next Steps found under After You File